Thursday, August 20, 2009

England

My best man (Steve) and his wife Jilly flew to UK from USA to catch up with us on Monday (22 August). They were due in UK later in the week for a wedding but brought their flight forward. We opted to eat out and went to the Fat Cat in Solihull. Lunch was quite a protracted affair and although we had started at 12:00 or so we were still there at 4:00. In order to be able to fit in some dinner we opted for a walk.Across the road is St Alphege church where Helen and I were married 36 years ago. Steve insisted on taking a photograph notwithstanding the flowers were for a funeral service that had been held earlier in the afternoon.These ‘photos were taken by Steve as I tend not to be in too many of my own! (See http://stevenjill.blogspot.com/ for more photos.) We caught up with Jo and Beckie in the evening and went to the Boot in Lappworth for a pub dinner. Jilly was also kind enough to arrange for me to stay at her Mum’s house in Reigate so that I did not have to leave so early the following morning when taking the Pathfinder back to Calais. I drove down to Reigate and arrived at 23:00.

It was lovely to catch up with Mum Berryl who appears to be as sprightly as when I first met her nearly 40 years ago. It was also a great time saver and enabled me to have a 6 rather than a 4am start the following day. In fact I just managed to catch an earlier ferry and this enabled the return journey to be made earlier so I had time to spend on London. No ‘photos of channel crossings 7 & 8 (the view had not changed much) and it was another calm sunny day. On Wednesday we said our goodbyes to Jo from Birmingham airport and set off for Canada. Jo is great company and her generosity in allowing us to use her house as a base tripping in and out as we wanted made life very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment